We all have gone through the examination fear at least once in our lives. This is the time when we put all our strengths and knowledge to attain the desired result. This is the most difficult time in a student’s life as it affects them physically, mentally, socially , emotionally and cognitively. I remember, when I was giving my first yr medical exam, I was crying like anything. Couldn’t remember the course and wanted to leave medical. This happens. Sometimes, its in yourself that you get anxious at the verge of examinations. But as per the stats, around 50-60% students have admitted that they have been pressurized by their parents for better academic performance. How far is it going to help the child? A little bit of persuasion is acceptable to motivate the child but only little bit. In doing so, occasionally we cross our line and force the child to perform as per our whims and fancies. This is only going to harm them.
First of all, we have to accept it that having examination phobia is common and absolutely normal. So address it and try to resolve it and get it under control by mere talks, discussions and accepting your child’s caliber.
The most common reasons for examination phobia:
1. Lack of preparation and planning: Most important thing is planning. We all know that Feb- March is the examination time in our country. So plan all your course accordingly. Make a plan subject wise and course wise. Assign the number of days and time you want to give to a particular topic/ subject and follow it. Sometimes, it happens in covering the whole course, we even don’t practice the part which we at best. So, you may leave some small portion but do the rest by heart so that you can get full marks in the remaining part.
2. Low motivation: So, this is the duty of parents and teachers to keep motivating the children continuously. A motivated child can do wonders which you might not have thought of.
3. High expectations from others: So, leave it aside, no need to give attention to others expectation. You are never going to satisfy others . and moreover, you are not here to satisfy others but to yourself.
4. Peer competition : This may work as a source of motivation if you take it positively. Every child has their own unique strengths and weaknesses. So have knowledge about yours and work accordingly. You can make or break only your life.
Now, what to do to eliminate it:
1. As I said in above point, planning is the most important part of examination. Plan your time according to your course. Assign the time as per your caliber. Eg: if math excites you, you can give it the time when you are feeling low or tired. This will help you utilize that time. When you are fresh, you can take a topic which bores you or that’s difficult.
2. Always try answering questions from past exams. That will help you to understand the pattern and time management.
3. Do not hesitate to ask for help if you couldn’t solve any problem.
4. Talk and converse: Talk to someone you trust when you feel low. This will help you to voice out your stress and you may get some real time advice.
5. Give sometime of the day to your favorite hobby. This help make you happy and enhance your performance.
6. Sleep properly: Its very important to have a sound sleep of at least 6-7 before daily. This will calm your mind and body and ready them for the next day preparations.
7. While attempting the questions, if you feel sudden stress or anxious, take deep breaths. Have some water. Move to some simple questions to ease yourself.
Last but not the least, this is not going to be the last examination of your life, so relax. Do not take the stress to the point that it disturbs your life. Life is a bigger examination in itself that these mere academic exams. They are not going to decide solely for your career and life. Ask yourself, “have i given my best”. If the answer is yes, then whatever might be the result, one thing is clear that you know how to handle the stress and you can face any exam in the life.
Role of homoeopathic medicines in eliminating examination phobia:
In homoeopathy we have wonderful medicines which help one to face the examination with ease and relieve their pressure.
1. Kali Phos : Acts as a nerve nutrient for mental and physical despair from excitement, overwork or worry. Headache, weakness and exhaustion in students worn out by fatigue.
2. Arsenicum: Good for people who feel very anxious, especially after midnight. They may panic and not be able to settle because they feel restless.
3. Gelsemiumn : May help those suffering from performance nerves who may lack confidence and give up because they feel they may fail.
4. Argentum nitricum : Ideal for impulsive people who behave in an irritable way and then they regret it. They often hurry because they are worried about being late or missing deadlines.
5. Lycopodium : An excellent remedy for the type of person who is very industrious and tends to over-prepare. The symptoms are often at their worst between 4pm and 8pm or if they have missed a meal.
6. Anacardium: Nervous exhaustion from over-study and loss of memory from fright or mortification. Fear of examinations with lack of confidence.
Ask your nearby homoeopathic consultant for help and the best suited medicine for you.
All the best for your examinations!!